Mailing Address: 3750 Myrtle Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15234-2168 412/561-6866
The United Methodist Church of Castle Shannon was founded in 1879 as a Methodist Protestant congregation. The congregation emerged from meetings held at the
Arlington Camp Meeting Association. A Sunday School was organized in 1879 by those inspired by the ministry of the camp meetings. The congregation began its life as a mission church under the guidance of Fourth Church, Pittsburgh. In 1884, and under the pastorate of Reverend John Fletcher Dyer, this mission congregation became the
Castle Shannon Methodist Protestant Church. Miss Ann Irwin gave the land upon which the present church was built and dedicated in 1888. During the tenure of the Reverend John William Hawley, church schoolrooms were added to the church building. A distinct and separate educational and learning facility was built in 1966-1967; and was consecrated by Bishop Frederick Buckley Newell on April 30, 1967. The membership in 1968 was 398. The membership on January 1, 2003 was 144.
In July 2009, Castle Shannon Church became one of the congregations founding the South Hills Partnership of United Methodist Churches.
Worship service is held each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. The facilities of the congregation are a center of activity for several 12-step groups, and the location of a day-care center.